Author Topic: How do I import music files  (Read 10357 times)

KevinL

• View Profile
How do I import music files
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:38:27 pm »
I cannot figure out how to import music files into the app.  I cannot access music from apple music so I must import individual files.  Are there instructions in the app?  What am I missing here?

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I import music files
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:49:44 pm »
iOS makes handling music files outside of their apps way more complicated than it needs to be.

The  way to import songs into Walkout Songs is to email them to yourself then open the email on the device.  Long tap the song file attachment and select 'copy to walkout song dj'.   That should copy it to the local file domain of Walkout Song DJ and make it available in the imported files list.

joefla70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:31:24 pm »
I've been trying to do this for two hours.  I don't understand why the walk up songs show up easily, but the announcements have to be "imported" into a special folder.  Why can't the announcements be loaded from the same place as the walk up songs?

joefla70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:46:13 pm »
I do not see an option to "select 'copy to walkout song dj'.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:44:16 am »
Joefla70, Can you please provide me a little background on what you are trying to do? 

What is the source of the announcement files you are trying to import?  Do you know what sound file format the announcements were recorded in?

joefla70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:33:56 am »
Hi. Thanks for replying.

I created announcements using a text to speech program and saved them as mp3 files . I also made walk out songs that I cropped to certain parts of the songs I chose and saved them as mp3s.

I transferred all of the mp3 files to my iPad with iTunes.

I was able to insert the Walk up mp3s into the lineup by finding the mp3s in iTunes.

I was not able to locate the announcement mp3s.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:18:15 pm »
Ok, now i understand...  I am impressed you went to such great lengths to get the songs cropped and loaded through itunes.  That was the work i hoped to avoid for most people by the cue and duration settings. 

Anyway, i did not expect people to go through that effort of recording and then importing announcements through iTunes.  The method to import announcements if they are in mp3 format is to email them to yourself and then open that email on your device.  If you then tap and hold for a second and then release on each announcement file, there should be a popup menu of destinations for the file and 'copy to walkout songs' should be in the list.  Once they are imported they should show up in the imported announcements list.

Note: This option is only available in version 2.3 or later of wsdj, so make sure you have the latest version.

Let me know if that works for you and i apologize for the confusion in the interface.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:17:23 pm by UpAllnite Software »

joefla70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:06:25 pm »
I got it. Thanks for the help. The problem was that I was initially using a web browser to open the email. I installed an email account and then it worked.

Is it possible to make the announcement play before the walls up song?

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:21:24 pm »
It is not possible yet to play the announcement before the song, but I have been asked quite a few times in the last couple weeks for that option so I am working on a configuration option for the user to align the music and announcement at the beginning, end, or just by arbitrary time to mix them together.    Expect to see that in the next version released sometime after the height of the season.  I try to not to release updates when the app is in heavy use so I don't break things and anger the user base.

joefla70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:40 am »
No problem.  Its not a big deal.  I appreciate the prompt support.

Also, I just wanted to say that I think the app works great as is.  I just get a little obsessed with projects like this.  That is why I created announcements using a text to speech program and made my own walk out song files that I cropped to certain parts of the songs I chose.

The walk up song feature in the app works very well when the part of the song you want to use is at the beginning.  But sometimes the part of the song that I want to use is somewhere in the middle.  Also, for some songs I edited in different parts of the song and spliced them together.   And there were certain songs that I wanted to stop playing at a particular time, and other songs I wanted to let play for a second or two longer to make sure a certain lyric or music note was played (or not played).   It wasn't too much work to edit the tracks and I like doing it. :)

The announcements feature in the app works very well too.  But again, I get obsessed.  I wanted to use an"echo" effect that would give the announcement a reverberating sound like you hear in a large stadium.   And I wanted a voice with a deeper voice.  I used Cepstral and chose the "Walter" voice and used the "Spacetime Echo" effect.   They came out pretty good.

Again, thank you for your help and your commitment to supporting your app.  I wish all app creators were so responsive to the requests of their customers.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:30 am »
I sure understand the obsessing...  That is why the app exists in the first place  8)