Author Topic: Importing Sounds  (Read 5512 times)

DBarnett22

• View Profile
Importing Sounds
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:21:16 am »
Any idea how I could go about importing sounds (not songs) that aren't necessarily on iTunes?  I'm thinking mainly about ringtones that I can download from iTunes.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:40:40 pm »
You can import ringtone files to the app using the same method as importing songs.  Email them to yourself, or place on cloud storage, etc.   Those files are in m4r or m4a format and that is a recognized format for the app.

But, I can find no current way to get access to the files for the ringtones you purchase from iTunes. 
Apple provides no method for apps to access those ringtone files on the device.

There used to be ways using iTunes on a MAC or PC, but Apple removed all options for that with iTunes 12.7.   

I do see PC/Mac app utilities that claim to be able to get ringtones from your device, but they are not free.

Perhaps there are some expert users of the forum that could point out a way to export the ringtone files.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:41:34 pm by UpAllnite Software »

Delucca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:51:24 am »
I was wondering about the same as DBarnett. At least the email method works but it so annoying. Do you think letting Apple would care if we tell them that this is creating issues for some people?

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:04:00 am »
I have made many requests of Apple to fix annoyances to my users and have never had any success. 

Apple seems quite set on preventing third party applications from accessing the ringtones on the device.  Up until iTunes 12.6, they did at least allow you a method to access the ringtone files on a pc or mac, but now that is not even an option.

You paid for the ringtone files, you should be able to access them in some manner.  Perhaps a consumer complaint filed with them from that angle could get some traction.

Otherwise, I would recommend not buying ringtones from Apple.  Buy them from another source, put them on your iCloud and then you can just tap share them with Walkout Songs.

DBarnett22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 02:19:40 pm »
That being said - any recommendations for sites, etc where you can find sounds, movie clips/quotes, etc to download?

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:04:11 pm »
I don't have any particular sites to recommend.  For the sounds I used, I just searched google for the sound name + mp3...   However, nowadays I spend way more time coding updates to the app than actually using it. 

Hopefully some other forum users that actually are using the app can chime in and give you some ideas.