Author Topic: Songs in cloud?  (Read 6613 times)

lheatherly

• View Profile
Songs in cloud?
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:09:09 pm »
Help!! All my songs are on my ipad, not in the cloud. Why do I get an error message when I try to use some of my songs?

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Songs in cloud?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:52:46 pm »
The only reason I have seen for that error message is when the particular song file has not been downloaded to the device.  It usually occurs when you buy a song from iTunes for one device and download it only to that device.  If you then try to add that as a walkout song on a second device that shares your iTunes account, then you will usually end up with the cloud error message.  In those cases, you can open either the iTunes or the Music app on the device you are using for walkout songs and that song should have a little icon shaped like a cloud with a down arrow.  If you tap on that cloud the song downloads and it then can be added as a walkout song.

If you have opened the music app and verified that the song does not have a cloud icon, then you may have a new issue that I have not encountered yet.

If that is the case, could you please give me a little context on how the song was added to the device and what type of music file it is?

lheatherly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:25:18 am »
There is no cloud. The songs are all songs I downloaded from iTunes. I probably downloaded them onto my phone, but I sync my phone, computer and ipad regularly. The songs are on my ipad, not in the cloud, but still the app doesn't recognize them. All the ones that don't work are songs I downloaded a long time ago. I'm not sure why that should matter, but I did notice that.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:14:48 am »
If they were songs downloaded from iTunes long ago, then I would suspect they have some digital rights protection.  Before 2009,  the music you downloaded from iTunes was encrypted to protect it from people copying and giving to friends.  Walkout Song DJ is not provided the encryption keys from iTunes so those songs can't be set as a walkout song. 

There are options from iTunes to convert protected songs to non-protected versions, but I have not been able to test any of them because I do not have any songs with protection.

Apple also seems to change the suggested method to deal with the conversion every year or so.

From what I can determine, burning those particular songs to a CD with the iTunes PC app, and then importing them as mp3 files is the simplest and cheapest method.

lheatherly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »
Thank you so much for your quick responses! I have gotten everything set up and am using the app at tomorrow night's game!  :)