Author Topic: Walkout Songs - Add "Position" Column/Field  (Read 4762 times)

DBarnett22

• View Profile
Walkout Songs - Add "Position" Column/Field
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:19:19 am »
Have you considered adding a field for a player's position?  Perhaps a drop down menu that would encompass all baseball and softball positions:

• Pitcher
    Catcher
    First Base
    Second Base
    Third Base
    Shortstop
    Left Field
    Center Field
    Right Field
    Designated Hitter
    Designated Player (softball)
    Flex (softball)

This would be helpful for announcing live at the game - giving only one source to look at instead of always relying on the lineup card for the announcement (and then the app for playing the song).

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Walkout Songs - Add "Position" Column/Field
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »
I have considered the addition of a position, but in the typical use case of this app it seems that many of the positions would change from game to game. 

I suspect the burden to keep the positions accurate might outweigh the benefit for the announcer.  As you mention, the positions are usually required on the lineup card for use cases where it matters.

I am open to more opinions if anyone else on the forum disagrees with my suppositions. 

If this feature would help enough users, I might be able to add an option in the configuration to show or hide a position column so it would be available where necessary and hidden in use cases where it wasn't useful.

DBarnett22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:18:36 pm »
Have you considered the option of allowing empty columns/fields to allow for users to add free form text, as they see fit?

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:51:21 am »
I suppose that could work all though it might be a lot of typing if you want the text to speech to sound right.  Abbreviations like 1B wouldnt get spoken exactly that way.

Did you have something in mind other than the standard positions that could be put in a dropdown list?

DBarnett22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:32 am »
My thought was to eliminate referring to a lineup card - and using the app instead.  I opt to announce live (not text to speech) - would find it useful to refer to the app, where I would begin the song, then announce "now batting: the centerfielder, number 21, Jane Smith".  (Of course, I also use an iPad for this - so looking at the screen, there would seem to be enough 'real estate' to add this - for at least the iPad layout).

I would say the standard positions should be:
  • Pitcher
  • Catcher
  • First base
  • Second base
  • Third base
  • Shortstop
  • Left field
  • Centerfield
  • Right field
  • Designated Player
  • Flex player
  • Designated hitter
  • Extra hitter

Unless I'm missing something - these should cover all possible baseball and softball positions.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:42:53 am »
Excellent list! That is pretty much what I was thinking of for my dropdown column.  It is on the short list of update features so look for it when the season winds down some and I don't risk breaking the app during prime season.