Author Topic: How to get music files for Android users  (Read 5886 times)

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How to get music files for Android users
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »
Android users do not have the luxury of an iTunes library and a built in Apple music subscription so getting music sources for Walkout Song DJ can be more difficult and require purchasing of song files if you don't have a digital music collection left over from the 90's.

The easiest way to gather your song files is to just purchase the individual songs from amazon on your android device.  Amazon will ask you to install their Android app to download your purchases.  Once that is installed, open it and select my music, playlists, and then purchases and it should list what you have bought.  Tap the three dots at the end of each song row and select download and they will be put in your Android music files where walkout song dj can find them.  Older versions of the Amazon app used various storage methods so your purchased songs may not be visible or they may be obscured by subscription versions.  In that case, you can go into the settings app, application manager, and delete the data for the Amazon Music App to get to a clean slate on your device.

I have found recently, that you can actually purchase songs directly through the Amazon Music app.  Just use the search feature, find the song, again look for the three dot icon to the right of the song, tap that icon and select buy from the menu.  Complete the purchase, then go to "my music"|playlists|purchases, find the song you bought in the list, tap the three dots and select download from the menu and it will add the song to your Android music library and Walkout Songs should be able to find it.

You can also just ask the players to buy their individual song, download the song file and send you their song as a file attachment to an email.  Tap on the song file attachments in the emails and you should get an option to open with Walkout Songs which will put the files in the imports section.  Songs for situations can usually be found free floating around the internet by searching for "mp3 national anthem" for instance.  For those, just download with web browser, find the song in downloads and tap and open with walkout songs.

I know that upfront cost for the songs can be a burden, but if your the team sound person, you can usually request the team help spread the cost. 

If the team or league has a charitable organization designation, I think the cost of music for the game should be a tax deductible donation :)

I am still working to add streaming service sources to both the Android and iOS, but it is a long slow legal process with the services which I have not been able to negotiate so far.

If anyone else has any other methods for gathering music files on Android, please reply here and maybe help out your fellow users.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:53:24 pm by UpAllnite Software »

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to get music files for Android users
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:43:49 am »
Another method I see used alot in both the iOS and Android version is using Youtube to mp3 converters.   There are a bunch of fly-by-night websites for the task, but they turn out pretty risky with advertisements and virus potential.

There is a pretty good free app for PC (Not Android) called "FreeMake YouTube to MP3 Boom" 
http://www.freemake.com/free_youtube_converter/

It lets you search for titles, listen to make sure it is what you want and then a download button which puts the file in your PC music folder.  Find the file there, email it to yourself, open the email on your device, tap the attachment, open with Walkout Songs and it should be there in your import files list.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:49:06 am by UpAllnite Software »

Jayriggs11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 08:40:41 am »
Hi, just downloaded the app on Android.  I have a bunch of music from iTunes that I moved to Google play music.  The only songs that show up, though, are the ones in Amazon.  How can I search for, or include, the ones from Google play, which are physically downloaded on my phone?  Thanks!

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:30:04 pm »
For some unexplained reason, Google Play puts your purchased files in a private folder on the phone. You can't see them in file manager and the Walkout Song App can't access them. The only solutions I know of is to go to the Google Play store on a pc and download them there and transfer to your phone.

UpAllnite Software

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:58 am »
Another option for music files for Android users is a website called Amoyshare.com

They have a free online search and download of songs from youtube and other sources.  It does work with the chrome browser on your Android device and downloads the songs right to your download folder. That adds them to the Android Media manager so Walkout Songs can find them without requiring import.